PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 24th Jun 2005, 23:03
Idunno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Heathrow is one of the worlds busiest airports, and it is positioned in some of the busiest airspace in the world.
I've never heard a London ATC'er lose his/her rag, indeed all one ever seems to receive from them is a great service done with the greatest of grace under pressure. They are never aggressive or petulant, and they use proper RT terminology at all times. The worst I've ever heard from a UK controller is a slightly exasperated tone when people won't listen out at peak times.

I've NEVER been put into a position at LHR where I felt seriously uncomfortable with the controlling - only admiration for the professionalism of those guys and girls.

On the other hand, in the US - on a daily basis - I feel that ATC in terminal areas are trying to kill me (I'm not exagerating). I find I have to treat every clearance they issue as yet another part of that effort. Its the only way to stay alive there. Yet, when I'm thrown at an approach from a great height or speed I know that if I complain or reject a crazy clearance the likeiehood is I'll be told to turn around and get out of their area.

The problems that ATC may have from airport authorities or the FAA is being passed directly onto pilots by them. Daily they foist us into downright dangerous situations - then expect us to bail them out by complying with their crummy buck passing controlling.
And if you do it - next time they'll squeeze you harder.
If you don't do it - go to the penalty box.

US ATC is totally discredited in my view if the people in that profession can't demand better standards. Lets face it - when the union was broken by Reagan that was the end of professionalism in that job in the US.

You do 800 a year there? God help you - but since you know no better, why would you expect anything else.

PS. Regarding KORD. When using RWY09 - coming in over the lake they hold you at 7,000' until you pass north of the field, then they tell you to reduce speed from 250 to 180 and descend to 3,000'. You may not know this, but large aircraft don't slow up too well, and they don't descend well while slowing up - nor do they give good descent rates at 180 knots. And yet - even at slack times of the day - ATC will turn you onto a 7 mile base and finals above the g/slope, often with a tailwind.

They do this consistently and for no apparent good reason even in slack times. The only way to get in off this kind of approach is to take the gear at 7,000' - which is a bull**** way to operate a heavy jet.

Thats what I think of KORD ATC.
Bull****.

Last edited by Idunno; 24th Jun 2005 at 23:16.