PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 24th Jun 2005, 17:54
Idunno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say I'm disgusted with the atrocious standards of American ATC. I hadn't heard of this incident - but it doesn't surprise me in the least. The regular use of 15R at KBOS for T/O's while using 04R and 04L for departures/arrivals is pure craziness. You get clearances telling you to (for instance) "set t/o power now and when I call you - commence immediate take-off'.
I've had aircraft vectored straight at me on approach leading to TCAS RA's. Last minute runway changes. Thrown at approaches from impossible angles or heights or speeds. Ordered to observe ridiculous restrictions to keep speed too high on the ILS. Back course approaches, NDB and VOR approaches where they vector you inside the initial approach point and abandon you to your fate. The Canarsie approach at JFK is criminal - widebody heavies doing finals turns at 200' (saw a G/A from 200' last night by a BA 747 because the controller lined up an American Eagle commuter and couldn't release him in time - the American had to abort his take-off to avoid the BA jumbo going round!).
Mix all that with argumentative and petulant controllers who always sound as if they're on the brink of losing it - what a madhouse the US has become.