PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More new jets for Tiger!
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2005, 16:00
asianfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sidstar
You know as well as I do how aviation policy is shaped more by government policy than by competitive factors. I agree with you that Singapore is entitled to do what it likes with regards to avialtion policy. Indeed it already does (SIN-KL for example...a nice duopoly for both MAS and SIA). Likewise with Australia.
Alas, it is the customer who gets screwed over (on the above SIN-KL sector or indeed SYD-LAX). I for one am all for LCCs regardless of who owns them or where they are registered. I just want to get from A to B without getting ripped off. Thankfully, the SIN-MNL route was opened recently and both Tiger and JetstarAsia have good loads. I presume yields are good and fares are finally more affordable.
Finally, I agree with you on Tiger and Air Asia becoming the Asian equivalents of Easyjet and Ryanair. Tiger by virtue of its parent and the desire of the political powers wanting a viable LCC and AirAsia simply becuase they are already the biggest and most powerful.
As for the US airlines....the idea of paying a fare on a so called 'full service' carrier is one I discarded a long time ago. At least the big Asian full service carriers have not forgotten the 'service' part and still offer a great ride.

Asianfly