PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR going out to contract.
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2005, 09:14
exleckie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vec,

The particlar operation I refer to was contractorised well over two years ago. There will be no hand over to Bristows because, in essence, they are already running the show.

It is a military unit with aircraft provided by a civilian company. These aircraft are manned by military crews and maintained by civilian engineering staff.

It provides SAR to the military fraternity, SAR to the civilian community, support to civilian authorities.

As far as your presumption that cover is only provided during airfield opening hours, you are very much mistaken. Like most SAR outfits, this particular operation to which I refer has 24 hr 365 day commitment. Clearly this involves out of hours tasking and call outs.

Juan,

The whole point of civilianising SAR is to maintain, or even better the standard of SAR units, be that in or out of hours flying, whilst at the same time reducing costs by employing a more streamlined eng support structure to the unit. e.g. A civ engineer doesn't do guard, get deployed, need to go to PSF, nip out for a haircut, attend station briefs, fill sandbags etc etc. They are paid to look after the aircraft and the aircraft only.

Saving money all round without compromising operational effectiveness.

I know that civilianising uniformed jobs is a bitter pill to swallow but unfortunately, it's a reality that cannot be ignored. You won't be in uniform forever so think about life after you hand back your kit.

exleckie