PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working in Saudi - Specifically Jeddah
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2005, 15:32
Kazakhstan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All

Hi,

Sounds like things have not changed too much wish I could visit. Left in 93 after living in Jeddah for 12 years. I grew up there and arrived when I was 1.

Loved it, Mobil had a huge motor yaught that we used to go out in on the weekends, took me a while to get used to Thursday and Fridays not being weekends back in the UK. Used to be 7 SR to the pound as I remember.

My dad worked in Aviation out there and we lived for a long time in Saudia City which was nice but the Security was a little ennoying to guest coming over for parties as they all had to be announced.

Next to Saudia City was a little market probably not there now however they had the greatest food Shawarma are like kebabs but in a wrap which we used to buy from the Lebanese shops and then there was Broast Chicken, like KFC. As a male we were treated very well by the locals all though my Mum nearly got beaten for not covering up. She never did!

We also had nice perks like Maids and Drivers who ferry us about. It was a cool place to grow up especially with the Red Sea and the Corniche. Used to have a fish tank and fly model planes in the desert.

Nice to talk to people who are still out there, in some ways you guys are very lucky. I still miss it.

Do people still make their own wine and champagne!

Speak soon.