PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation in ATC
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2005, 13:12
NewModelATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Widger,

Thanks for taking the trouble to look at the site. You may know me if you've worked at Hurn. There has been some truly excellent work done on FACTS but there has always been the need for other components to make up a full complement of tools for a future Flight Data Processing System. My proposal is for an integrated and unified ATC solution that removes the need for such separate tools and provides other benefits. The New Model works the same way from ground movement to oceanic and is so simple to understand that a beginner can operate it. It tackles the problem of failure by providing multiple independent processors. It keeps the controller in the loop. If there is a failure that knocks out a processor and the database then another processor can be used. The new traffic solution might not be identical to the old one but it will be workable and safe. Looked at from the right perspective we just don’t need strips any more. And conflict tools can’t manage flows or provide insights into timely route optimisations to save fuel. The New Model really does work but I’ll happily address any specific questions posed in this thread.