PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 23rd Jan 2001, 18:59
VLift

Reduce power, forward cyclic; forward cyclic, reduce power. I agree.
It's much like the fellow who showed up to work in a new duty site at 6000' in the summer, having arrived from a long period at sea level.
I said " The book tells you that the 180 auto has several steps. Collective down, pedal adjust, cyclic into the turn, check rate of turn, etc, etc. Not correct. At this elevation it's one step or you won't finish the turn till your on the runway" He didn't believe that. Half way through the turn I caught sight of the man with no forhead that I've seen a few times before. From cheek bones to hairline he was nothing but eyeballs.
To take a position, I do agree that you won't get what you need from forward cyclic till you reduce the collective.
The worst aircraft for VR and S w/P for me has been the CH-47. He was flying, I was digging for a map (not doing my job of paying attention). There were no vibrations to alert me out of the map case. When I looked up we were falling like and anvil out of trim, so smooth. Not what anyone who has flown a few Chinooks would ever expect in terms of vibratory level. He was still operating well within the bliss that ignorance provides.