PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone done this?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2005, 07:14
masseygrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wouldulikefrieswiththat,

Mate,

If you can buy an aeroplane thenn why not find some work for it?

All you need to to is find an exisiting operator, e.g. charter company, and lease it to them. They would of course have to put it on their air operating certificate. Better still, get it put on to the AOCs of a number of different companies and you sell yourself as a free-lance pilot. In some cases the charter company may want their own pilots to do the flying. Fine, get them on the insurance. At least the aeroplane will be paying for itself (contribution to overheads at least). You might be then be able to fly with more experienced pilots and learn a lot, and with more experience those charter companies (for example their insurance may say that they need 1000 hr + pilots) may then be able to let you do the flying for them.

If you can find 20 hours a month for a light twin it can (probably) pay for itself.

Maybe find a few non-aviation companies who need to fly their executives around - i.e. corporate flying? Although that may require you (or the company) to get your own AOC (expensive).

The bottom line is that if you can afford to buy an aeroplane outright then you should have an investment that can actually pay for itself. Many charter companies use leased aeroplanes so their costs include the lease of the aeroplane. Or, they're in the process of paying off a loan taken out for an aeroplane.

I don't know what the aeroplane re-sale market is like in Oz at the moment, but I do know that you can get yourself in to trouble if you bank on being able to sell an aeroplane at a certain figure. Due to changes in the market, engines not lasting as long as expected and all sorts of factors.

If you decide to buy a twin and find some work for it, and need an extra pilot, then I can help with the flying!!