PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - job opportunities for female pilots
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2005, 03:00
Shintaro9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Women Pilots

Truly into It...

Go for it. Dont worry about the money. I too came from a poor family, but after successful application, MAS took me in and sent me for training. My parents didnt have to spend anything really.

Recently, MAS has had a change of mind regarding female pilots. A few years ago it was a no no. Reason, MAS passengers not ready for female pilots. Strange because at that time, MAS was leasing a World Airways DC10 crewed by females (Capt, FO and FE). We also was leasing a 737-400 from UK Air Leasure which has a few female FOs.

Now MAS is playing catch up. The M'sian government is also putting a lot of emphasis on women nowadays. You read about them being the 1st chief justice, head of this and that. They even have a women minister looking after women affairs. Women in high profile jobs are the in thing in Msia.

When I first flew with a female pilot, I was nervous and rightfully told her so. She turned around to me and said " Capt, treat me as your copilot, not as a female and you'll be alright". Indeed, I followed her advise and we had a good flight. Since then I have flown with a few more (including female captains) and I have found them to be competent and good operators indeed. No difference as when I am flying with guys, except that I have to watch those expletives when I am with the ladies. And so far, nothing has happened during those inflight rests in the bunk (really).

Connections are not important, as we have rejected candidates with good connections too. But connection does help get your application to the right people. Connections or not you still have to pass your MISPA, medical and aptitude test.

In my opinion, MAS should have employed female pilots long long ago and be pioneers instead of playing catch up.

Truly into it, go for it. Your chances a bright. All the best in your medical and prehire test.