PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What actually happened? (Typhoo versus F15)
Old 21st Jun 2005, 23:20
Jackonicko

Received 62 Likes on 12 Posts
Partz,

As a new boy, that's an entirely valid and understandable question, especially since BAE Systems were pretty tight lipped about the incident, and so were 17.

Broadly speaking, I am a full time defence/aviation journo, and I do try to keep my finger on the pulse of major programmes - especially UK ones. I'm lucky enough to be able to speak to people at 'all levels' from Erk to CAS himself, and from BAE assembly overall wearers to EF GmbH's CEO. My access to overseas programmes is less, of course, but is still pretty wide. That's just as well, since I have only enough expertise to be able to regurgitate what people tell me - and I prefer to get expert folk to interpret what I hear rather than interpreting it myself.

I'm therefore disappointed that you should judge what I say as seeming 'suspect to you'. When you leave your own profile quite so vague, however, I'm not sure how qualified you are to judge!

If you're referring to my assertion that the engagement was during someone's SIPT, then it's easy - at the time of this incident that's all that was happening on Case White, and that's also what I was told at the time. That it was a particular pilot is an inference I drew from what a Case White bloke told me - it was a small pool of blokes then, and their names and flying backgrounds were made widely available. I hope I caveated my belief that it was someone with limited A-A experience adequately.

If you're referring to my assertion that the 48th weren't "Not trying" and were "impressed" - that's equally easy to explain - it's exactly what a 48th FW pilot told me after the event.

As to Singapore, I've written about the evaluation, and I know that I gained more 'snippets' from French and Yank people than I had from BAE, EF GmbH, Eurojet and RAF folk at the time, though once the French released the fact that Typhoon had been eliminated, many of the things I had been told by my original sources were confirmed by new ones, though both EF GmbH and BAE's PR folk remain tight lipped about Singapore.