PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good Job going in Queensland
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2005, 02:27
wishtobflying

Not enough $$$ ...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a bit of experience applying for government jobs (the last government job I successfully applied for had over 130 other applicants) so if you are thinking about this one please allow me to share some thoughts with you:

Disclaimer: I have not applied for any flying jobs, so if you are in a government flying job and you disagree with me, please feel free to have some input ...

You CANNOT just send your CV in listing your endorsements and hours on types. You are VERY unlikely to even get an interview if you do that.

You need to have a separate document that responds to the Selection Criteria in order and in detail. Usually it would look a little like this:

Responses to Selection Criteria for:
Pilot (First Officer - KingAir)
Vacancy Ref PR69/05

SC1.
  • Possession of a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) (mandatory)
  • [*]
  • [*]

Obviously the first three mandatory Selection Criteria are exactly that ... mandatory, but the following sections are what will get you to an interview and over the line.

There is usually a panel for government jobs, and they shortlist simply by having a checklist where they tick off how many of their magic words you use in your responses to the non-mandatory criteria, so you should write a LOT.

You should plan on writing at least a page for each of the non-mandatory criteria. REALLY.

Dredge up every example you can think of that applies to these criteria, because they will count. The people with more examples than you may get one more tick in the box, and you may not even get to the interview because they've been told where the cutoff is, it's a number and they don't care how close it is. They have to justify their reasons for choosing one person over another, and the easiest way to do that is with the "tick the boxes" system.

Anyway, I hope that's valuable to someone. I imagine the response to this job will be quite large given the current climate. Good luck, and why not get back on here and let us know how you went.