PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Today at EDI and always....
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2005, 18:41
beaver eager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The trouble is, we get used to being refused visual approaches at BAA airports. Sometimes you can get one at LGW with the magic words "Can we have a visual avoiding East Grindstead/Horsham?" We get a feel for when they may be available (i.e. there's not much going on on the RT!).

However, there's no point asking when it's busy, it would just use up unnecessary airtime to get a refusal so we do get out of the habit. I don't think it's being lazy, just making everyone's job a little smoother.

Contrast this though with Jersey and Glasgow where they regularly use the phrase "Let us know if you want a visual approach at any time". It sets the tone and we'll accept probably 50% of the time on average (there are often reasons why we may not want to accept anyway).

No axe to grind, just my take on the situation.

But I do visuals more often at JER and GLA than anywhere else simply because they always tell us when they're available. It must mean something, eh?

I've only read the first and last page of this thread, but I was there on the day (at the time of calibration) that triggered this thread and the guy was under so much pressure that he was making some mistakes. Little wonder his runway utilisation wasn't at its best.

I have to say that I thought it strange to be calibrating at the same time that there were loads of aircraft using EDI as a base for attending a local airshow (I'm guessing that was what was going on - how often do you get a Catalina at EDI?).

Regards to all.