PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Today at EDI and always....
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2005, 11:53
callyoushortly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I've been sitting in the background reading this but I feel it's time to reply now.

I don't think anyone is under any illusion, pilot or ATC, that the Scottish TMA needs an overhaul. The SID's were designed at a time when expedition wasn't key, as there weren't enough aircraft for it to make any difference, the airspace was designed at a similar time with rules and regs to fit and the fact that (I think) Scottish centre still work on a 14" portable TV for the TMA makes keeping things tight almost impossible!

The infrastructure at EDI is far from ideal, new taxiways do help, however, the question about RET's was nothing to do with ATC, I believe they weren't built as the distance between the runway and the Alpha taxiway is not wide enough to allow space for the RET and then a suitable turn onto the taxiway. The new tower will also improve matters, but wil not necessarily solve the majority of our problems.
Stand occupancy offers further problems, it's not something that ATC have any control over but have to react to as it happens. Holding for stands is becoming commonplace and can be frustatrating from an ATC point of view when, between the aerodrome authority and airline companies it is decided that aircraft should hold for particular stands when there are vacant stands, all for the price of a bus! Furthermore, the already stretched Operations department is being further depleted thus impacting on the whole expedition of the airfield.

"Make an effort. Place jets before turboprops, use gaps efficiently, predict well ahead, expedite where need be......"
I just wonder what Moist thinks I spent 2+ years training to do, and try to do each shift to the best of my ability.
Moist also mentioned that it might be a good idea to plan ahead and put props behind jets for departure, good thinking Batman, I wish I'd thought of that...... only thing is, where do you decide to stop farming out jets at the expense of a prop? They have to depart somewhere and pay for our service just like the jets do, so why should they be delayed more than any other? If you were a prop driver do you think you'd be happy watching a stream of jets depart while you waited for a 'gap'? I can think of a particular BA Dash8 driver that would have immediate complaints.

You have to remember that your TCAS doesn't show you everything, I don't remember seeing slot times for other aircraft, the need to vacate a particular stand, aircraft tech problems and the like appear on it last time I did a fam flight....... (any offers??)

That said, I'm by no means saying we're perfect but we try. If feedback on forums such as this was a little more educated and constructive then you might find that the ATC workforce may be a little less defensive and more likely to take on board your comments.

Feel free to visit, there's always a seat and a spare headset.....