PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solo Trip to France
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2005, 09:45
GroundBound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About the French (language that is), we should remember that whilst learning the various pilot calls (vent arriere etc.) is commendable, it is only half the problem as one still has to understand the ATC calls addressed in that language.

I flew into le Tooks on Tuesday (sorry I missed you Whirly ), and for some brief moments the R/T was warming up, with the controller getting shorter and faster with his transmissions. Also, one UK reg was doing his best to use French for the cirucit calls, when it was more than obvious that the controller's English was better than the pilot's French, which had the adverse effect of adding to the R/T loading.

I live and use French daily, and although I understand the ATC calls made in French, I still use English when speaking to ATC. I've never had a problem in France with French controllers not using reasonable English - but maybe that's because I haven't flown to the places Whirly went to.

A good read Whirly, with some lessons learned for everyone, I'm sure. And, yes, the vis on Tuesday at le Tooks was fantastic - as I approached the field from 10nm East, at 2000ft, I could see right across the Channel to the white cliffs and a bit beyond - lovely sight

GB