PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is contaminated bleed air harmful? YES...
Old 20th Jun 2005, 08:38
Billy Sampsom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread, with some obvious 'interested parties' posting here. I decided to sign up and post to give you a US perspective having researched this issue for 3 years.

We have 2 main industry players in this game the FAA and UK CAA who have their strings pulled by the rest of the industry.

The FAA are currently researching this issue as the NAS concluded more research was needed. FAA accept crews can get sick, its the 'how' they don't fully understand yet.

I know 7 pilots who now have neurological problems which their occupational history links to fumes in the workplace.

The CAA in the UK say all is well but the British CAA is funded by industry and hence the difference in attitude to the FAA. I believe the CAA is protecting BAe who are in law suits with numerous plaintiffs.

Whats gets me is how the CAA say its all OK when their 2004 Air Quality paper (which reminded me of Pravda such were the number of errors) states clearly: '...Finally, it is important to note that, although some references are made concerning long term health effects, the scope of this research did not include an attempt to determine the extent of any such risk.'

Lets accept crews are sick and protect the industry and passengers from future lawsuits by sorting this matter out as a matter of utmost urgency.

Billy Sampsom
Portland
Oregon