PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solo Trip to France
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2005, 07:58
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In case it wasn't obvious, I've learned many, many things from this trip. To mention but a few...

1) ALWAYS Read the NOTAMS. I usually do, actually. The problem occurs when I don't have internet access, ie away from home, and can't easily get them at the airfield...all too frequent, I find. I then tend to rely on what people tell me, and that's not always correct...as we found out. Though I have to say, everyone was so laid back and welcoming at Granville, I'd never have known we shouldn't be there! But thanks, 2D. I have suitably wrapped my own knuckles...and I'm being serious now!
2) Learn French. I would have done, if I'd known I was going to be doing this solo. It would have helped enormously. But to try to do it at about 24 hours notice would only have increased the workload, and I decided not to.
3) Always expect to have to route to published points, VRPs etc, even if everyone says you won't even to, even though it's France and usually informal. It might happen.
4) Realise that someone on PPRuNe will ALWAYS point out where you could have done better, and someone else will get upset about them doing that, and someone else.... What I mean is, maybe enough said on all those points...but thanks for the support, ShyTorque and others.

BTW, I should point out that if anyone DOES want to flame me, for any reason, they should do it privately, or this whole thread will be deleted. This is not because I'm that sensitive - I've been on PPRuNe too long for that. It's because this thread involves other people, who may not even know it's here, and it's not fair on them. I posted this as a fun account, which people might like to read. I'm happy for it to become anything else useful. But if it turns nasty, it goes, immediately!!!

aaron,

Forgot to say, I think Sue does give riding lessons, but I\'m not certain. Check on www.nearlyheaven.com, or email her at [email protected].