PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pitfalls of being an Airline Pilot?! Gotta know!
Old 20th Jun 2005, 01:23
Flex_Thrust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mooney - I'll have a look for the good points on pprune - taking scroggs' advice to check out the archive threads.

A & C - more or less agree with you - theres far worse jobs around, and its an idea not to forget that. The kinds of non-palatable changes happening in aviation terms and conditions is happening lots of other places. And in any job after a decade, you won't arrive at your place of work kickin' yer heels the way you did at first. My current job involves spending 6 months annually away, months at a time, for about €40k - now Thats puttin pressure on home life.

hassell - yup! Got Cl1 Medical - probably the most important pre-requisite. And thanks for pointing that out!

G-SXTY Thanks for the notes. Talked to a pilot from Ryanair today (we were in the same career a while back - so I know his notions of 'acceptable' are comparable to mine) - their maintenance is excellent. They insist on de-icing Regardless of the cause - even if its just after fueling. They grounded a plane when a retractable light of some description was broken by a bird strike - they could safely and legally have flown it but didn't. Not takin' chances with the -200's either - FLS made a mess of trimming some kind of hull pressure seal - by using a Stanley knife to cut it off! It scored the metal lonitudinally, so they consulted Boeing and came up with the solution of adding a rivetted section down the length of the plane. And they're gettin rid of them in November I believe. Don't look forward to the job insecurity, 25 min turnarounds, or 'min fuel' pressures. I know they like the pilots to stay high where its efficient, then drop to the runway. And they maintain a league table of whos the lowest fuel consumer and whos the best time keeper. (Interesting to note, the higher you are on one, more likely you'll be lower on the other)

Simon_Sez Thanks for the website link. Want the reality thing. My Ryanair mate is on about half what I'm currently on for the first 6 months, and has used up all his savings made in the job we 've both done previously. I'll go to Jerez. Havn't heard anything to make me think otherwise, but I'm still trawling on that front.

Scroggs - thanks for the link. Posted this thread before looking at your archive. Baaad NewKid!! (I'll also see what on I Can actually find on the greener side... just to keep the valium dose low as poss at this stage!!

Guess I should go trawling through the archives and we quit this, or, anyone else got any more Constructive/ Objective suggestions/comments/questions?