PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Today at EDI and always....
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2005, 18:08
benedictus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nil,

What we need is some restructuring of the SIDs, as it stands, all the SIDs go straight ahead for at least 5 miles before turning, this means that the minimum departure interval (unless we can apply early turns to the West and use reduced separation) is 2 minutes or vortex for each and every departure. This results in delays at the holding points, especially in the mornings and early evenings. Couple this with Minimum Departure Intervals (MDIs) into the Galloway sector which are now occurring on a daily basis (sometimes 1 departure every 5 minutes) means even greater delays for anyone going out on a TRN, NGY, DCS or TLA departure. This then becomes a Ground Controllers nightmare, do we stop a/c starting, try and get a departure order that will work with minimum delays or just let you guys take 20 mins at the hold. I appreciate that the norm at the likes of LHR and LGW is perhaps a good 20 mins at the hold in the queue, but you shouldn't have more than 5 or 6 at GLA. Add the fact than when we're on 23 there is nowhere for anyone to pass if we can get a slightly better order unless you can accept a 'B' departure (assuming you can get to B because of traffic ahead of you).

Our problems are numerous and by all accounts only going to get worse, radical change will be needed if things are going to improve. I saw the BAA plans for next year at GLA and the extra stands will help ease the parking problems we have, but the new taxiway design (a near 90 degree turn by the tower) will certainly slow things down and cause a lot of congestion which I don't think the airfield can actually handle.