PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOA-indicator useful ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2005, 18:49
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey folks:

Going back more than a couple of years, in early 1969 through late 1970, when the KC-135A models were first transitioned to a “new” pilot instrument display arrangement, using, among other “new” instruments, the Collins FD-109 flight director system – we found, much to our surprise, and later avid enthusiasm, a direct reading AOA instrument. It was relatively small (inch and a half, two inches?) located just above the left seat altimeter. We used it a lot for some of the missions in SEA – for performance and/or fuel conservation. We also made good use of the information for instructive purposes during traffic pattern practice. I found myself cross checking that instrument as much as any in the cockpit. Now, with the new engines and new skins and new cockpit update, the AOA is still there, same place, above left seat altimeter; but now the same gauge is located above the right seat airspeed indicator (about time to let the other pilot in on the good stuff!) -- graduations are from zero (0.0) to one (1.0) -- and I would have bet money (and lost) that they would have upgraded that darn counter-drum airspeed indicator by this time!

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/110380/L/