PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S61N Reject after CDP
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2001, 10:13
Roofus

Just Dropped In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Despite what Gutless said, the pilots priority is 'Fly the Aircraft'
(I'm hoping he said it 'tongue in cheek')

Given the scenario here I'd be looking to reject the take off & get the aircraft back on 'terra ferma'

Each scenario must be assessed individually, hence we get trained & paid to make decisions. Company manuals simply cannot allow for every eventuallity, & to restrict yourself to their exact wording in the event of an emergency is unrealistic.
There is no right answer, but whichever course of action you take you must see it through to a safe conclusion.
Flying away, 'around the patch' & back in isn't the most direct route. However is does allow you to settle the aircraft into a safe flight regime, complete all relevant drills & set yourself up nicely for the subsequent single engine approach. As such it isn't an unsafe way to conduct business & could prove safer than rushing to put an aircraft back on the ground.
That said, you as the handling pilot may happily look ahead & believe that all that tarmac provides you with ample room to conduct a safe reject.
I recall the S-61 being a pleasant old girl to handle a reject in, although if memory serves she does take a fair while to stop in light winds.
The most important thing is to ensure that you Fly the Aircraft , earn your pay & bring the people in the back (& hopefully the airframe) back to earth as safely as possible! If that is acheived the actions you've taken were right.