PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take-Off Power - How often?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2005, 02:09
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Bell Retirement Index Number (RIN) is related to takeoffs. For most models, it's 1:1, meaning one takeoff increments one RIN. On the 212, it's different, but I haven't flown a 212 in so long I'm afraid to say exactly what the formula is, other than that it's not 1:1. Turbomeca has the same thing, but they call it cycles, and have an incredibly complicated formula that requires counting every time the N1 goes above or below 85%, and by how much. Nobody I know uses it, instead using the 'lump' calculation, basically counting one cycle per takeoff which had a start preceding it, and .15 if there was no start. It uses cycles more quickly, but better engine cycles than brain neurons. This may be different for other engines.

Personally, for takeoff and landing, all I care is that nothing goes above the redline. That's why they put red lines on the gages. Max continuous is something different, and seems to often be limited by operators to something less than what the manufacturer specifies, just to try to keep all the beans in one pile as long as possible.