PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future rotorcraft control systems
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2005, 21:29
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max,

Howabout positioning the brake trigger so that it trips once the collective has been lowered to the autorotation position? Heli will fly normally, other than turbine lag limiting. At engine failure collective becomes ineffective, while blades set pitch for auto, until pilot lowers it to begin auto descent. Flare is as normal, but no need for any additional check (which may well be forgotten in the heat of the moment). This basically gives a machine with a virtually non-existant H-V curve for safe flight (although pilot must still flare).

I would have to see sketches of the mag brake overide to comment further, but see what you are getting at. If it could be packaged with the Lockheed gyro, then this would be a neat intallation. Horn and light would still trigger when engine response fell below limits, but maybe horn can go out when collective lowered.

Out of interest do multi-spool turbine engines suffer from lag as badly as single spool? In auto engines the smaller twin turbo is effectively an intermediate pressure turbine, designed to respond to transients until larger (low pressure) turbo can spool up/down.

Mart

Note: I was planning to discuss tail rotor control strategies next(or general yaw control for counter-rotating helis). My accidental threadjacking of the thread below shows me what potential problems exist for such a system...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...5&pagenumber=2

Last edited by Graviman; 18th Jun 2005 at 16:06.