PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Police Pilot
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2001, 11:04
Zeusman

Cool

To help set the record straight. GMP ASU pilots are currently still employed by MAS. The contract for pilotage at GMP ran out on the 31st Dec 2000 but this has been renewed on a short term basis. The long term future of pilotage at GMP is still undecided but it looks likely to be one of two choices either stay with MAS or go to direct employment. There are still things going on in the background but so as not to jeopardize any on going negotiations I will not comment further.

PurplePitot, If direct employment is so bad why did you leave MAS in the first place and secondly why don't you go back to them? You only talk about the additional benefits i.e pension, loss of licence etc. but do not mention the basic salary. A post was advertised at your unit recently paying £35,000 and that wasn't for covering 12 hour shifts. I have heard that start salary with MAS is £29,000 and that may include 5 day/night 12 hour shifts. I have also heard that leave isn't always available as there isn't enough relief pilotage to cover it so leave can't be a. Fully used and b. Taken when you want it.

So anytime you want to go back to being a contract pilot feel free!!!

"May the God of weather treat you kindly"