PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solo Trip to France
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2005, 16:55
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justiciar,
Sorry, I left out anything about the military restricted areas. You're right, they do appear to crisscross the whole of France. In some areas this is complicated; when we tried to fly to Salzburg last year it was horrendously complicated. But most of the west of the country only has low level ones, usually 800-1500 ft, or occasionally up to 2000 ft. Then there are others above 3000 ft. So you keep an eye on things, but fly between 2000 and 3000 ft, and you're OK. But yes, it's just one more thing to consider.

THURSDAY 9TH JUNE

I've had enough. I think about flying to La Rochelle, but I'm just not interested. I want a break. So I decide to go straight to Limoges, which is less than two hours flying. That way I can have this afternoon and tomorrow off from flying, and then P is arriving - she called back; it's all arranged. I've phoned Sue, and told her I'll be arriving. She is a part time instructor at Limoges Airport, and has a place in the country half an hour away. She tells me to call when I arrive.

I get a taxi back to Tours Airport. I ask the friendly people there about departure procedures, and what I'm likely to have to do. They describe it all to me, and tell me I'll probably be routed to point E, then left alone. I work out where point E is, and decide to meander around the Loire Valley after that, looking for chateaux, then fly straight to Limoges. I'm quite looking forward to it since I know it'll be my last solo flight, and my last flight for a bit anyway.

It doesn't quite work out that way. Tours route me to point E at 1100 ft, then tell me to report at point S!!!!! This is too much! Where the hell is point S, and why can't they leave me alone. Well, I see point S now, at least it's near the river and between two towns, so hopefully I can find it. And it's morning, so there's less thermal activity. I report "approaching point S" - clever that, since I don't know exactly where it is. They ask me to report leaving the frequency. You bet I will! I leave as soon as I can, and then fly around looking at the river. I find and photograph a couple of chateaux, and enjoy the lovely scenery of the Loire Valley; it really is beautiful. Then I set heading for Limoges.

It's another lovely day; I've been really lucky with the weather. All goes well till I try to call Limoges. No reply. OK, I think, I'm too far away; I'll try in a few minutes. Still no reply. I'm now nearly in their airspace, and it's Class D. I carry on for a bit, still no reply. I try the other radio, no luck. I begin to think about this. It's France, and they're unpredictable, but I can't really land at an airport in Class D airspace without contacting anyone, can I? I try again. Still no reply. I think maybe I've had radio failure. I get out my handheld, strategically placed where I can reach it. I start orbiting, and look at it. I've never used it in earnest, and now, with a lot to do, I can't think how to use it. Take it slow, I think...and I fiddle about and manage it. But still no reply. I can hear everyone else, and it dawns on me that failure of three radios is most unlikely! I decided to carry on, get close to the airport, then decided whether to land and sort it out on the ground, land at a small airfield, or call someone on my mobile from the air. But of course, eventually Limoges talk to me. This is France; don't expect it to be like England. It's quiet there; they give me a squawk and tell me to report field in site, then clear me to land. Limoges is only big and crowded when Ryanair arrive.

So I land, and it's lunchtime. I can't get any fuel. I can't pay the landing fee as the computer is out of order and no-one wants to know. I hang about, eventually get fuel, ask to tie down KF. No blocks available, and parking on the grass not allowed. Eventually I locate some blocks, and I'm allowed to have them if I fill in forms in triplicate and give them back on Saturday. This is insane. I call Sue, who I know is picking someone up from the Ryanair flight at 6 pm. I say I'll wait, but she insists on coming out to get me: "I can give you lunch, and you can be lying by the pool all afternoon". I don't argue!

Sue's place is gorgeous. It's an old farmhouse about half an hour from Limoges, in the depths of the country. She has dogs and horses, and there's a swimming pool. She does B & B, and there are several people staying. A British couple are househunting, and one English chap is arriving this evening to do some flying with Sue to get his required 12 hours for the year - at around £75/duel, why not? It's a fantastic place to go and have a holiday or fly or both. You can email her at [email protected] for details; I promised her I'd let everyone know. I'm thinking of getting a Ryanair flight there later in the year to do some touring of the south with Sue. Anyway, I lie by the pool all afternoon, Sue feeds me, and I collapse gratefully into bed feeling that life is good.