PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - T/O Downwind -v- power available ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2001, 20:12
Vfrpilotpb

Senis Semper Fidelis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Hi Rotorheads
After another exciting afternoon flying the length of the Uk (well almost) I had again the chance to try the downwind hover and taxi in one of the new(400hrs) Hydraulic R44's, with three people on board and the wind at 7/8knts I yet again ran out of stick in the attempt to bring the R44 to a halt, and had to perform a turn on the spot to get the help of the little wind available, the problem was also that I reached the max limit of the power and was in danger of going into the overpitch situation, all this at about 6/8 ft from the ground, all this was overseen by my friendly Cfi who was quite happy for me to undetake this little test, we also tried the creeping take of at about 30% down wind, we hovered at about 12/14ft the distance travelled before we started to lift was incredibly long compared to a normal into wind T/O with the same A/C.
But thanks to all your inputs and thoughts I feel I know a lot more now than I did a few weeks ago, Could it be renamed the "PPrune Educational Forum " I have not had chance to try this in the B206, at this low amount of Tail wind would it too run out of rear stick with three up?