PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pinnacle Airlines aircraft incident
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2005, 00:26
Ryan_not_fair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NUGPOT

I cannot argue with your insightful response and I applaud you for your consistent stance on this tragedy. I also thank you for you link to the airliner.com forum which is most informative. I think I understand the stance you are consistently assuming in that the a/c does exactly what it say’s on the tin and these guy’s were unfortunately on the wrong side of the curve. Far too simplistic for me though.

My point is that they shouldn’t have been there in the first place as the operator had an obligation to train them in the handling of the a/c within the operating envelope of the a/c. The NTSB clearly state that this wasn’t provided.

I am also interested in your comments especially as you have been regularly operating this type at FL410, but my concern is that numerous other pilots have testified to the NTSB that this wasn’t possible for any prolonged period, regardless of configuration, and the longer they spent at this FL, the more unstable the performance of this a/c became. I think it highly relevant that the NTSB allowed a comment from a very experienced sim instructor, which said that “extreme attention” is required to fly this a/c at this FL – for God’s sake, the last thing that any pilot needs at any flight level is EXTREME ATTENTION to anything – don’t care whether you are 30 ft off the ground or at FL410.

Question – If certified to a specific FL, surely an SAT or TAT correction is specified in the perf data!!

Last edited by Ryan_not_fair; 17th Jun 2005 at 00:38.