PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future rotorcraft control systems
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2005, 03:56
maxtork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Graviman,

Glad to hear that I wasn't totally out in left field. I agree that packaging would be a bit of a chore but I think it could be done.

As for the gain factor I think this could be overcome much as we do in an engine governor. By anticipating the droop in rpm we can compensate for static droop conditions. By simply changing the spring tension which is balancing the centrifugal force acting on the weightsyou can change the rpm. This same mechanism could be made part of the mag brake for autorotations. Lock the spring in it's place and now you are acting directly on the pitch change mechanism for the flare.

I don't think the pilot workload would be a problem either. Pilots already need to react quickly to lower the collective during an engine failure. If we take this action out of the loop he can simply enter his auto and set up for the landing and on the way down after he is set he can energize the brake. On the way down seems a less stressful time to have to react then imediately after an engine failure...although I stand by to be corrected from our pilot types who may be reading.

I will take your advice and make some sketches of what I have in mind. I'd be happy to send it to Mr Jackson if he is at all interested. Although I believe he already has this idea in his head as well considering his page on "rotor governors" which is precisely what I am talking about.

Max