PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NOTAR Systems
Thread: NOTAR Systems
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2001, 15:00
tigerpic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

notars are very quiet. really fantastic! and i myself had the pleasure of flying a corporate md600n for half an hour. it felt like flying a BIG h300 or a very fast enstrom f28, because of relatively large pedal inputs needed throughout a flight. no hydraulics and the pilot used to fly it with the four-way electric trim - although i was taught "never to fly the aircraft with the trim." the six bladed fully-articulated rotor system was very stabil and gave almost no vibrations. it was like floating (on a cloud) through the air. only problem, the pilot told me, autorotational airspeed is 85 knots. that doesn't give you much for a 180 deg turn if you need it. think about that, the 206b has 52 minimum in the handbook. i know optimum airspeed is a lot lower, but still.

now, little gossip from mexico city: the md-team was in mexico city to demonstrate the 600 performance. the helicopter came in for landing on a pinnacle, a building. as you might know, mexico city is located around 8000'. when the pilot ran out of left pedal pulling in power, the helicopter made at least a 180 degree turn by itself over the pad before the pilot was able to set it down. the demonstration flights were limited to a half hour radius and little weight inside the cockpit, to maintain positive control.

anyway, that last story might just be rumours, so don't sue me, i'm still broke after heli training!