PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL Diary
Thread: CPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2005, 06:28
ianpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day 13

Another early start today but I must admit I prefer it as it is much cooler in the mornings here. Today we covered all the emergencies, Fire in flight, Engine Failure, Engine failures after take off and emergency descents. We departed to the south west and found some nice big fields to practice near. The PFLs are, although full of pressure due to the checks, very easy to perform in this aircraft due to the fact that with the flaps and gear down and the prop fully forward you can more than double your rate of descent. It pays to be a little high because getting rid of excess altitude is really not a problem. I was lucky today because wind was not really a consideration being very light and variable. This was good as it allowed me to get into the checks and procedures without the added stress of picking an in to wind field. After two or three engine failures we increased the workload by adding an engine fire and emergency spiral descent into the procedure. I was fairly comfortable and so it was decided that we would return to Fort Pierce to carry out some circuits. We only actually managed to get one in, which was a short field approach. I think it all went well on this flight and I was much more ahead of the aircraft and the checklist. The next flight was going to be a back seat ride for me until we reached Ockeechobe where by I would take over. With the power checks complete we climbed out and laughed at the controllers conversation with a big headed Malibu owner. Then out of no where the Malibu appeared, luckily the pilot spotted it and made a steep climbing turn for avoidance. It was a fairly close one, but certainly teaches you to keep a good lookout. Two minutes later it was noticed that our manifold pressure gauge had started to read ambient pressure. This would end this flight and it didn't get fixed in time to fly again. I was given the final schedule today which is basically a last flight with my instructor tomorrow, a pre 170A test on Sunday, the actual 170A test on Monday and then CPL test on Tuesday. I had the privilege of paying the CAA their test fee as well today £637. Really hope I pass because it's a lot of money to have to pay twice.