PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 30th Aug 2001, 02:31
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

I can't give you the industry drum, but I've changed spots leopard style in the flying game several times, and am now doing it again.

Your past experience must count for something - CRM, general situational awareness, and probably philosophy towards flying - ie, having a good idea how far to push a situation and being willing to make an abort decision, would have to give you an accelerated rise to competence.

In analogous situations, I have found it to be something of an emotional rollercoaster - you know you can fly and operate, but you lose (for a time) the automatic hands and feet, and knowing where to look, skills that you had on your previous type, so your confidence can take a knock.

Funny as it sounds, as a first-time learner, you don't know what you don't know, so it's probably easier in that way than if you're transitioning from another form of flying.

If you're fairly well sorted out financially, I think it can only be a good thing to follow your hankering - as they say on the Lotto, if you don't have a go, you'll never know!