PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 29th Aug 2001, 21:19
Heli vision

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Jet driver needs heli advice

Rotorheads, I must admit to being somewhat red-faced about asking this as most of us have probably become a touch hard nosed and cynical in our old age (myself included). Boyish enthusiasm does seem a trifle uncool.

Anyway, here goes. 8000 hour airline training Captain, late thirties, wants to swim against the tide and go heli flying for a living. (Ducks for cover and looks on as hard-bitten rotary drivers clutch stomachs and roll around carpet to sound of much laughter).

Why? Life's too short not to have new challenges and I just love these machines. I've only 50 hours experience in a Bell-47, but it has to be the most fulfilling and fun flying I've ever done.

So, my question then, if I arm myself with a shiny new CPL(H), does my 8000 hours fixed wing and training experience count for anything with potential employers? I guess I'm specifically thinking B-206 or similar type, charters etc.

I hope I haven't opened a can of worms with regard to taking peoples' jobs, etc, as I realise things are not easy in the rotary world at present. Have they ever been? I'd just like to think that one little fishy swimming in the opposite direction to all the others wouldn't create too many waves.

In a nutshell then, armed with a CPL(H) and extensive overall flying experience, what chance of say part-time charter work as an example?

Feeling like a really embarrassed wanabee now, but I would seriously value any comments, suggestions or advice.