PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Gw2 Revelations...
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2005, 09:31
Biggus

Received 72 Likes on 33 Posts
Maple et Al

First of all I am still serving, and I actually took part in Gulf War II!! Secondly, while I voted in the last election it was neither for Labour or the Tories (or Lib Dems!). My comments are not politically motivated as part of an anti Blair platform or opinion.

I was 'uncomfortable' as a serving member of the armed forces with the rational for going to war. This country was 'sold' the notion (although many were against it - as shown by the march in London) on the basis of the existance of WMD, whereas the US was always in the game of regime change (which I believe is illegal under international law). It subsequently turned out that the case for WMD was false. While there is no proof, that I am aware of, that the government - the face and driving force of which is indeed Tony Blair - deliberately lied about it there was sufficient evidence in such enquiries that we have had (e.g Hutton) that the likes of Mr Campbell changed the language of some reports to strengthen the governments arguements.

As to whether or not it was a legal war, recent revelations from the attorney general would suggest that the matter was the subject of interpretation - there was no black and white answer. That was part of the reason why the UK government was eager to obtain a further UN resolution!

When pressed on the matter of the reasons for going to war the standard answer from Labour politicians (this is not a political dig at Labour - they are the party in power!!) is 'Would you rather that Saddam was still in power...?' and other such comments. This avoids answering the question, and smacks of the ends justifing the means. If we are going to sally forth and remove all dictators and despots from the world, stop the death of innocents, etc, why are we not in Sudan, Zimbabwe, etc. If we are going to war with all countires in breach of UN resoltuions when are we going to attack Israel, who I believe are in breach of more than any other nation.

If there is one thing I have learned as I have gotten older it is that often it is not the truth or facts that matter, but rather peoples perception. Many non politically motivated people in this country have the perception that the government led us into the Gulf War for reasons they elected not to share with the country. Whether that is right or wrong does not alter the fact that it exists. Whichever side of the debate you are on you will not change peoples minds by spouting political dogma, and insulting your opponents, which is what several contrbutors to this thread have resorted to of late.