PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B727 crash landing in Lagos
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2005, 09:18
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would disagree with Rani's opinion, stated above. There must be some underlying factor that would cause a pilot to persist in attempting to land in Jos and then having an over-run, rather than simply diverting to Abuja or Kaduna, say, and waiting for the Jos weather to clear. Pressure from management, perhaps? I have no firm idea, but there must be more to it than just choosing to finally disregard ATC instructions. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think ATC can issue an approach ban simply for a wet, flooded runway.

Also, I cannot believe they held for 2 1/2 hours before landing. I don't think they carry that much fuel, usually. One would have to have 2 1/2 hours extra fuel, so that one could still land with enough fuel to divert and hold, right? Of course, I have no experience in flying large jets, so that I could be wrong in this.

One factor might be that we often get totally incorrect information about the current weather. This leads us to discount what we are told, even if it may be correct.

Even so, if the ministry is finally cracking down a bit, that's a start.