PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Applying
Thread: Applying
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2005, 19:22
Jetset Kate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi RoyBoy20,
From someone who's been Cabin Crew for several years and also travelling down the Commercial Pilot Route - here's my advice.
Get your foot into the door whatever area of aviation you choose to venture into. Experience as Cabin Crew is a great start because you will, on a daily basis, interact with both fellow CC and Flight Deck and that experience is priceless. Being CC is a fantastic job and the experience, knowledge, skills, personal development and overall - fun you will get from it quite simply makes it one of the best careers around - the saying goes: "You get out as much as you put in" it's hard graft 99% of the time but the rewards do certainly pay off.
If eventually, you still want to progress to the otherside of the FD door then, if you haven't already, commence some flying lessons. It's not cheap but it will give you a valuable insight into the world behind the "Yoke". You could try Motorgliding as an option and this will cost you about half the average price of a lesson in a Cessna 152- around £60 per hour (look on the web for the British Gliding Association). Finally, there are thousands upon thousands of people out there competing for the career as a Commercial Pilot so dedication and determination is key. Try and get some occassional work at an airfield whether it be washing planes or working in Airfield Operations - a potential Employer will look for these attributes. In simple terms -
- Do your research & take your time (patience is a vertue)
- Gain experience in any related avenue you possibly can
- (and as I Just Want To Fly Said) Use Your Brain
but Most of all - Have Fun

The very best of luck and I hope you realise and make your dreams a success!

JSK