PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76: Ask Nick Lappos
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2005, 14:43
212man

Received 345 Likes on 193 Posts
Nick,
I'm not sure what you are trying to say!

Firstly, when flying an a/c with an FLI, and an engine failure, the only thing you have to check is that you have the corect power rating selected (it defaults to 30 sec on failure of other engine, but you may need to select lower ratings), thereafter you just fly Nr. You do not refer to the FLI to check the power; it is simply telling you what the FADEC is doing. It is mischievous to imply you have to monitor two gauges!

Secondly, using the 30 second rating (on the 155 B) does not 'harm' the engine. It just requires a maintenance inspection, which in turn requires module 3/4 removal.

Thirdly, I fail to see how the 76 C+ can be any different in this regard; same engine! if the power demand at the point of failure is such that it is equal or greater than the 30 second power, the 30 second power will be used and this will result in the same inspection (unless the 2S1 now has cumulative usage, which the 2C1 does not). Obviously this will not apply to the 76 C++ and D, or the current 155 B1 (2S2, 2C2.)

I think the point about APs and engine failures is that in all probability they will do a more accurate job than the pilot, in the real world. Remember, that in most cases, a failure is a surprise to the crew and the subsequent handling will not be the same as a pre-briefed OPC/PPC or test flight, where the pilot will be poised with a hair trigger reaction, and a set of carefully recalled numbers in is head waiting to be applied.

It's a question of phillosophy; do we use automatics as some form of add on nicety, to be used from time to time, but fundamentally fly the a/c as we always have, or do we use them as the core operating function, with manual skills kept in practice to serve as the back up mode?

Sorry to divert the thread but I hate to see innacurate comment about some b***dy clever products!

PS. Geoff; get a life