PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pomp, Pageantry, and a Prat of a Prince?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2005, 09:07
tablet_eraser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pomp, Pageantry, and a Prat of a Prince?

Trooping the Colour - yet again, a demonstration of how Britain can lay on its displays of pomp and circumstance like no other nation on earth. And, of course, a welcome poke in the eye for republicans who claim the Armed Forces don't care about the Monarchy, that the country no longer cares for parades, and that the Queen doesn't pull in tourists. All looked pretty popular to me!

However, even as an ardent royalist, I accept that there is one particular element of the Royal Family that could be dropped without too many wailing protests. Look very closely at Prince Edward.... notice anything out of place?

Why is he wearing a Royal Marines tie? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am sure one should only wear a regimental/Service tie on successful completion of one's training. If this isn't the case, I'd say it's still a poor show. As Royal Honourary Colonel of the Royal Wessex Yeomanry, and Colonel-in-Chief of the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment, why doesn't he pick one of their ties, instead of one to which he is not fully entitled?

Grr.... these things matter!