PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2005, 16:43
Mama Mangrove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
etienne, Tom,

Many Chief Pilots have been promoted to the job from the line. After all, you couldn't expect every Chief Pilot to have been one before could you? Wale has been in the industry for many years and in addition to being an IFR rated ATPL was also a licensed engineer before becoming a pilot. He is already qualified and very experienced on the Dauphin and I am sure his previous engineering experience will also be of value to Caverton. As a Nigerian he knows the country and how to deal with its people very well.
In addition to that, he reports to an Operations Manager who I am sure will be there to guide, monitor and help him. I'm told that the new Operations Manager is a very experienced offshore and EMS pilot with a lot of time in Africa and a lot of managerial experience. Together they should make a good team to take the company forward when its new helicopters arrive.
I didn't see the 109 much either before I left, so maybe it is up for sale. I wouldn't be surprised as I always thought it an odd choice for Nigeria. Although the Power version has good performance in hot and high conditions, its very limited range in a country with few places with fuel and low tail rotor if it is landing in towns and villages must surely make it less than ideal. Also, compared with something like a Twin Star, EC155 or Bell 427, the cabin is very small and claustrophobic. Actually, if the prive in Helidata is a genuine one, they could have got hold of another Dauphin for far less money.