PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HUMBERSIDE
Thread: HUMBERSIDE
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2005, 13:02
1DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah!, what would life be without dreams....

AndyHUY.. You are correct the main reason for the end of the LHR flights was landing cost, but it did coincide with KLM taking over Air UK.

I believe a service to LGW would get more support than CDG, on the few occasions I used the old service to CDG it was less than half full. The French owned oil refinery at Immingham lobbied for the service to Paris but by itself wasn't able to provide enough custom.
LGW could probably support a small RJ or turboprop, I doubt if a low cost operator would be interested. BA have a frequent service from ABZ to LGW, I have wondered if a stop at HUY twice a day would have support. As long as their wasn't any competition on direct flights from ABZ to LGW, it may be feasible. I doubt if they would charge as much as Eastern so should get all of the business..
Flight only deals from HUY, at present, are almost always too high to challenge fares from LBA or MAN. I have even driven to LGW to take the BA flight to Alicante and saved £100 on 2 return tickets, plus car hire and petrol.. My last flight from MAN to ALC, a month ago, was £48.50 return inclusive of taxes. I admit it was one of the best deals I have had but without a low cost operator HUY will never compete with that..