PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another financial burden for General Aviation?
Old 11th Jun 2005, 10:08
G-KEST

Awesome but Affordable

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Devil

Well the launch of the CAA charges consultation took place with around 20 representatives from UK aviation organisations present. The consultation period for responses will last 12 weeks until early September, much longer than is usual, to give all "stakeholders", and that does include YOU, plenty of time to submit their thoughts.

I will analyse my initial reactions in the next few days on the forum however if you want to see what is now proposed the detail is on -
www.caa.co.uk/charges
If you would like an electronic copy then email your request to -
[email protected]

My immediate comment to the HAA, ADA(E), EAC and the RAeS LAG chairmen was -
"The consultation period for the CAA charging scheme proposals started today and I attended the presentation in London where the SRG GDSR, Mike Bell, and a team from SRG gave details to around 20 representatives from UK aviation organisations. My initial reaction is that having expected GA to be murdered I find it is merely to suffer grievous bodily harm so should I feel grateful......??". I reckon that about sums it up.

Seriously though, the final proposals are far less damaging to the UK airshow scene than was feared when news of the first draft of the JRT's recommendations was leaked. This probably thanks to the aviation media and associated website publicity and the efforts of many forum readers in writing to their MP's and the CAA chairman; not to mention that damaging EDM drafted by Gerald Howarth MP and supported by many other MP's of all political persuasions. I reckon the CAA, along with the DfT, felt somewhat exposed as a result and the CAA board of directors decided to water down some of the JRT's recommendations. Good for them.

Nevertheless there are many areas where charges to General Aviation and other aspects of UK aviation are going to rise. Considerably in some respects. More news in a couple of days after detailed study of what is proposed.

When you have a chance to look over the CAA website details I would much appreciate your comments as all inputs to the response process may produce some good ideas for alternative ways of carving up the cake.

Cheers,

Trapper 69