PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Briefings (Airbus & Boeing)
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2005, 07:18
xetroV

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
For approach briefings I usually work more or less from top (of descent) to bottom:

- minimum safe altitudes
- relevant terrain features, obstacles, prohibited/danger area's, and weather
- relevant courses, beacons, speed and altitude restrictions
- initial approach altitude, final approach course, FAP, nonstandard glidepath angle, vertical speed for non-precision approaches
- recap of CAT II/III procedures if applicable
- (M)DA and threshold elevation
- landing flaps, autobrakes, manual or automatic landing, idle reverse if applicable
- runway exit to aim for
- noticable runway features (displaced threshold, runway slope, slippery spots, nonstandard approach lights)

Then up again (in case of go-around):

- missed approach point
- missed approach path
- relevant terrain, obstacles, prohibited/danger area's, and weather

Then taxi to the gate:

- taxi route, parking stand number
- relevant WIP
- anything noticable about parking guidance, APU use, marshalling procedures, etc.

And finally a recap of NAV setup, aircraft technical deficiencies, NOTAMs , and weather (all may be included earlier if relevant). "Questions?"

Notice how I littered this list with phrases like "if applicable", "if relevant", "noticable", and "nonstandard". Most of the times several of these items may be omitted and for standard situations that are well known by all crewmembers a short summary will often be sufficient ("standard LHR 27L, flaps 40, autobrakes 3, manual").

To me, truly anal crewbriefings like the Empty Cruise examples above are about as useful as ATIS transmissions in Russian. They obfuscate rather than affirm the planned course of action - definitely not a sign of good CRM, if you ask me.