PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Pension Scheme
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2005, 18:35
Biggus

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
Ginseng

http:/www.mod.uk/issues/pensions/new_afps/edps.htm describes the Early Departure Scheme on a question and answer basis. The answer to the question "What happens to the EDP at age 55?" is given as:

"The income stream will increase to 75% of the value of the individuals accrued pension entitlement and will then be adjusted to take account of the changes in the RPI since the point at which the EDP was originally taken and thereafter on an annual basis until age 65."

There are even specific examples in a table later in the same document, showing the figures for a Sgt, WO1, Major and Lt Col all retiring at their 40/18 point which all show the rise to 75% at 55.

I therefore believe my calculations to be correct. Reference your point about not living till 65, I made that very same point myself if you reread my 8 Jun 21:33 post. As you say, and I am fully aware of, it is a complex issueand everyone has to make their own assumptions and decisions based on their future plans and expectations!

LFFC

Reference the point you made about somebody on the PA Spine who PVRs. I don't know, I will go through my PA Spine file later, what happens when you PVR, but one point to note is that AFPS 05 is "....based on an individuals best 365 days pay during their last 3 years of service."

I don't see how they could change your pension scheme if you PVR as PA Spine, those rules were written long before AFPS 05 came along. They might make you revert to Spec Aircrew, as I said I have yet to check on that, but presumably if you were out within 2 years under AFPS 05 rules you would still get a pension based on a previous year on the PA Spine salary, i.e all your pay in that year as PA Spine counting as pensionable?? Any thoughts??