PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Pension Scheme
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2005, 15:19
Biggus

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
Lockstock and Just this once....

It would appear that you are both correct, in that 'aditional pay', e.g flying pay, is indeed not pensionable under AFPS 05. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

I posted my reply to LFFC early this morning, when I was in a rush to get to work. The quotes I gave were from the only document I had immediately to hand, and are taken straight from the source (the articule in AMPlify). They are correct quotes. However, the phrase used in the MOD pensions website refers to '.. pension based on final pensionable salary (i.e excluding additional pay)...' for AFPS 05. That one word pensionable making all the difference. Indeed one of the questions in the Q & A portion directly asks about additional pay, and the reply makes it clear it is not pensionable. So I was wrong in my statement, apologies.

I am sorry if I have caused confusion. I am PA spine myself, and have only looked at AFPS 05 from a personal view, as indeed I suspect most people have/would, rather than an overall one. If that makes me sound 'jack' I'm afraid I haven't got enough spare time to become a pension expert for everyone. Hopefully my point, that people need to look at the new pension based on their own individual circumstances, and it is not necessarily bad news for all, is still valid!

LFFC

I am on a multi engined fleet with a large range of ranks within the crew, maybe even the same fleet as yourself, and recognise most of the extremes you mention. Unfortunately the RAF has always had disparities of pay within the same aircraft, which does not of course make it right. My pay and pension conditions are better than some, maybe most, of the people I fly with, but not as good as all. There are inequalities within the PA system, e.g maximum levels various trades can reach on the spine, but I have to live with what is on offer. While it may again sound 'jack', I did not create this situation, but given the option of selecting better terms of service (e.g the switch from Spec Aircrew to PA, the possibilty of an improved pension scheme) I defy anyone not to go for what is best for them. Indeed I would encourage anyone to do so. Encouraging people to select the best pension option for themselves was the reason I started writing on this thread in the first place!