PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - America West crew arrested @ MIA (Update - Sentences)
Old 9th Jun 2005, 11:51
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sammypilot

"33 .....which could be attributed to Alcohol consumption."
That's ambiguous. Does it mean they were actually attributed to alcohol consumption, or that the pilots had traces of alcohol in their bloodstreams so there was a possibility alcohol consumption was a factor?
33 out of how many accidents in that five year period?

"I acknowledge that all the aircraft involved were small."
I thought that might be the case.

"The statistics didn't indicate how many of the people involved were "off duty" airline pilots."
Even if some of them were, it doesn't detract from the distinction between private pilots in GA and professional pilots in commercial aviation.

"AIRLINE pilots who were involved in 13 pilot-error accidents had DWI convictions."
But no suggestion they had alcohol in their bodies at the time of they made the error.
I'm not convinced DWI convictions are relevant, but assuming for the sake of argument that they are -
13 out of how many pilot-error accidents?

"Because you a professional might reduce your chances of having an accident ....... "
I didn't suggest it would.

What I (as someone outside the industry and merely working closely with it) find rather frustrating, and many professional pilots understandably find irritating, is the sweeping, highly emotive and wholly inaccurate comments made whenever the stupid (and illegal) behaviour of a pilot in a case such as this hits the press.

I'm not suggesting you went as far as that, but you did challenge 16 blades' assertion, which related specifically to commercial aviation, and you appear to be rather light on evidence to show he's wrong.

I guard against claiming there is no evidence of an accident in commercial aviation which has been found to have been caused. or contributed to, by alcohol consumption by professional pilots. However, people who suggest there is such evidence never seem to be able to come up with it. I'm only aware of one - and I've forgotten now which that was.

The fault ultimately lies with those pilots who generate adverse press coverage for the industry but we shouldn't forget that there is no evidence that the overwhelming majority of hundreds of thousands of airline pilots who fly millions of miles safely every year would even dream of drinking and flying.
Members of the public read this forum and IMHO, and with great respect, there's a real danger your comments might give them an entirely misleading impression about airline pilots and airline safety - especially if they click on your 'Profile'.

FL