PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Awright You Booze Hounds...Listen Up!
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2005, 10:09
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SASless

No, but I've done other things in that state and agree with your point.
I was simply putting these pilots' alcohol levels in context. ieBeing a minute amount over the legal driving limit doesn't mean someone is drunk.

The FAA alcohol limit for pilots also drops to half.

Coincidentally, I'm also a trucker. I've got a licence to drive articulated trucks, but haven't used it for a few years. I'm not tee-total, but I'm not a 'drinker' in the usual sense of the word.

giveitsome
No, you can't be "a little bit pregnant", and you can be a lttle bit drunk.
I referred to the driving limit simply to illustrate that a reading of 0.091 or 0.084 isn't 'drunk', nor even 'a lttle bit drunk' IMHO.

I agree they had no business being in cockpit with those alcohol levels, but I disagree that they can sensibly be described as "pi - - ed aviators."
I've no doubt the reasonable man would say 'Flying and Drinking is not a good idea.' I'd agree, and would put it rather stronger than that.

The Florida limit is different from the Federal limit.

The Federal limit is in FAR 91.17 Alcohol or Drugs.
"No person may act or attempt to act as a crewmember of a civil aircraft -
within eight hours after the consumption of any alcoholic beverage;
while under the influence of alcohol;
while using any drug that affects the person's faculties in any way contrary to safety;
while having 0.04 percent by weight or more alcohol in the blood."

Any one of those alternatives is sufficient to prove a violation.
eg If a pilot flies within eight hours after consuming alcohol, he commits an offence even if he's not under the influence of alcohol when he flies and even if his blood alcohol level is zero.