PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The new easyjet rosters
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2005, 05:13
Yarpy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose the object of a dry, dusty, academic report is to support the policy makers in their decisions. That is, if they ever bother to make any. The Icon Consulting report interests me as I met one of the authors. The balance of the report was written from field studies. I.e. interviews with pilots. It was set against a climate of changing economic conditions. The CAA presumably wanted to assess the impact of the market on the guys in the cockpit.

Of course, since the report was written we have had 9/11 and things have tightened up considerably.

What the report author said to me off the record was far more pithy than report itself. It really is worth a good read. Like aviation itself the devil is in the detail.

There are, I believe, over 50 low cost carriers round Europe. Flying Quill, it is good to hear that you feel unpressured on safety grounds. I worked for several UK airlines. Some might have had a 'just' operational culture. Some most definitely did not and regularly lent on pilots to cut corners. I was offered a LHS with a lo co but turned it down. Friends who work in that sector have different stories to tell quite frankly.

The stress issue is interesting. I can recall three colleagues who lost their medical through stress. One never flew again, one was demoted to the RHS and another returned to flying and did really well for himself. For one guy I know it was a commercial decision taken near the end of an FDP that through him out of kilter so to speak. Either the airline pushed him too far or he was too obliging and helpful. Who knows.

I got away with it all over 20 years or so. 900 hours a year and young family doesn't temp me at all these days.

Right, 0610 hours and the kids are starting to stir . . .

Last edited by Yarpy; 9th Jun 2005 at 07:08.