PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground job opportunities at Melbourne Airport
Old 8th Jun 2005, 17:29
geoffroygdl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ground job opportunities at Melbourne Airport

Dear Aussies

It would be very nice if you could give me some informations that I really need but which are pretty hard to get!!!

I am 24 years old and I am passing a JAR theorical ATPL. I will normally have finished in September and then I will pass my CPl during six weeks.

I will then wait until May 2006 to pass an exam in France, If I got it, the rest of my training (IR and MCC) will be assumed by the government.

Between December and the end of April I would like to join some friends of mine in Melbourne and during this period, I would like to work. The main goal is to increase my english skills but it would be very nice for my future career if I could also get a ground experience.

So here are my questions:

Do you think that it is possible for non Australia Citizen to work in an handling company at Melbourne International Airport. I will have a working Holiday visa which will allow me to work maximum 3 months for the same company.

So first, will I have the right to work in the airport legally. I mean, isn't this sector to sensitive that these jobs could be closed to non Australia Citizens.

Secondly, Is it hard to get these kind of jobs in Australia. In France these job are pretty easy to get in the big handling companies such as Swissport. How is employment nowadays in this sector in Australia? Can I expect to find a job quickly or is it pretty closed.

I would be very happy to work close to the planes, as ramp agent, Loader or baggage Handler. I would like it very much to make headset pushback, and I know that in France it could be possible. But In Australia, I don't know!

Finally I found some companies, could you tell me if you know them, what do you think about them and eventually give me some other companies that you know. These companies are Aero-Care, Australian Airport Support, Express Ground Handling, Menzies Aviation and Wymap Group.

I know that I'm asking quite a lot, I would be very grateful if you could give me some answers or advices, even if you answer me on an unique question,
it will be very cool.

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward enjoying a hot summer in Melbourne!!!

One last thing, notice that the guy who get me a job will thanked with a bottle of french Bordeaux or Champaign!!!

Geoffroy

Last edited by geoffroygdl; 8th Jun 2005 at 19:00.