PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai: "The City that Cares"
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2005, 10:48
AMX10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My will

Being still sound of mind and not so of body I hereby legate the followwing:

20 years spent in the UAE for nothing, shawarmas were 1 a piece now converge around 5 see 10.

To Dubai, you look nice and modern but hey where is the city center, where is life? And what are you all about, people running faster by the day after the same coin, knowing only one will get it and ending up borrowing to pretend that they have it.

The legacy of wanting to be a modern day city with an economy akin to the US where on average only 2 1/2 % of citizens have any savings in the banks and everyone is living off a mortgage.

A local community with no character no history and no traditions that can reflect any culture. Sorry but show me a local and ask him who he is? Few if any know where their family originated. Now add to that the pommy comedian like the trutches of this world and you have a circus, and that is what dubai is.

School fees not far off from the marks of IVY league institutions, childrens tuitions fees near 30000 dhs a year....and for what?
Cars, insurance, radar tickets, a wave to a friend costs 200 dhs, shaking someone's hand is 500.

Companies that do not pay wages, bills, salaries, coolies working under the sun at midday without a break for 12 hours, all in the name of modernism.....? Ah all this suffering and no one budges yet we live with it. Jumeirah Jains and Janes where are those bottles of water that you promised? Or has the task gotten too big for you, or was it just another media prank thought off while you were at the shade of your RRover A/C full on at the intersection of wasl and Def R/A eyes darting under your cool shades (gucci or prada)

Dubai everywhere on TV, adverts in major press and media, the bburj everyone on a visit wants to see and take pictures of?
The hookers on sheikh Z road, oh yes Dubai!

So where is the lodge? Where is everyone, Stan and the lot, the smiley faces of the ski club and intercont pub, now that was dubai and then even the cost of a pint didn't matter because we enjoyed it!

I leave to Dubai and everyone there the cold in the heat, the natureless character of the expact, the CID everywhere in your life like sand after a visit to the desert, the heads without faces the lack of personality of the airline crew, the indians running the show, the arabs pissed off, the english who rule, the OZs and their drawl mate! the Africaners who have all of a sudden become civilised and talk like nazis of the holocaust of apppartheid as though it was not theirs. I leave everything and I am happy.

I am home, got a job and still have the t-shirt, all I miss is something Dubai does not offer anymore, comfort and peace and I have that here in good old Manchester!