PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future rotorcraft control systems
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2005, 18:47
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Dave,

"Blade element theory and common logic will do."

Agreed. These days you would go straight from blade element calcs to CFD. Building a ground rig will be a good way to avoid some of those ScArY licencing costs though.

"I strongly believe ... that the Intermeshing configuration is the best configuration for small rotorcraft..."

I strongly believe that you are right!

"...the Interleaving configuration may be the best for large transport rotorcraft ..."

Agreed. The additional payload justifies the additional drivetrain complexity. I get puzzled sometimes since the questions are not in the context of a specific project, so i am not always sure where the discussion is going.

"(Tri-teetering hub) ... undersling may eliminated the need for lead/lag hinges."

OK. Need to be proven/optimised on a ground rig, for perfect blade hub stiffness match.

"...large flapping hinge offset will allow for a smaller obliquity ..."

This is heading towards a rigid hub though. I can't help but wonder if a hysteric elastomer lead-lag bush would work as well. Again, though, it just needs proving out on a ground rig.

"... S-69 (XH-59) ABC coaxial had quite rigid 3-blade rotors ... high vibrations. ... X2 coaxial series shows 4-blade rotors."

Again, i wonder about the use of elastomeric lead-lag bushes to avoid coriolis induced vibration. Don't forget 4 bladed rotor will introduce (potentially avoidable) profile drag, over 3 bladed rotors.

Mart

[Edit: Ammendment]

Last edited by Graviman; 10th Jun 2005 at 15:12.