PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL distance Learning methods?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2005, 14:50
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That’s nice and clear then Dave!

I also think that for the most part note-taking is a waste of time. I made copious notes during Mod 1, stuck them in a big folder and never looked at any of them again.

Two exceptions to the rule:
(1) Equations – jot down them down for each subject and get comfortable with them. You won’t need to commit all of them to memory (you’ll find out which ones during the brush-up), but a lot of them will be required for the exams.

(2) Really tough subjects – e.g. bits of General Nav, PoF and Performance. I just couldn’t get some of this stuff into my head without writing it down first. No matter that I never looked at it again, at least it was in there.

For the most part, it should be enough to read the chapter(s) and do the progress test. If you’re not happy with the result, read it again. I’d only start writing up notes if I still wasn’t happy after a couple of attempts at the test.

And as puntosaurus has said, forget taking notes when you get to Air Law or Ops Procedures – you’ll end up wearing your underpants on your head and sticking pencils up your nose. Just go to the groundschool and trust in the force. . .

[And by the way, the intellectual benefits of a university education will be more than offset by the dead brain cells caused by three years of alcohol abuse and watching daytime TV.]