PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - hums
Thread: hums
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2001, 04:38
The Sultan

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Nick,

As stated earlier the 100 412CF's were equipped with HUMS as part of the original production configuration. Commercially, few customers see a need for HUMS as the 412 is the model of a safe and reliable vehicle.

Relative to the 609: the basic aircraft has a Collins Maintenance Diagnostic Computer for system monitoring and fault recording and a bearing monitoring system for primary bearings not in the oil lubricated gearboxes. The difference is that when the HUMS goes in the bearing monitor comes out as our HUMS also does the critical bearing monitoring.

The point of my professional interest is that if you have a HUMS why does the S-92 have a supplementary bearing monitor? Is it due to the software criticality level or some other FAA mandated reason?

What MDC are you using? We are using the Proline 21 MDC. It has been a lot of "fun" to develop. We now have it purring away quite nicely. Hows is yours coming?

In the old days when Bell and Sikorsky had a common interest like when we developed the RADS together (at the worker level, we did not tell our respective management) we were able to share useful insight on what needed to be done to achieve our end goals. Too bad we can not do that today in the area of diagnostic systems. (Yes I know there are forums, but they are pretty well monopolized by those trying to sell and those trying to justify what they bought. Very little useful data flows which furthers the industry.)

The Sultan

P.S. Tell Tommy hi and that Jay Miller has moved to Seattle (though I am sure he knows).